7.05.2005

Gilead

I recently completed reading the 2004 Pulitzer Prize winner for Fiction. Gilead by Marilynne Robinson is a beautiful book whose main character is a elderly pastor and father of a young child. The book is comprised of entries into a journal meant to be read by the main characters son. The book starts a little slow as it doesn't rely on normal plot devices and story telling. It is more a story of this man's heart. There were several points during my reading when I would stop to read a section to Lydia because I had been gripped by what had been written. I think I connected with the main character both because of his vocation and his clear love for his son, although that connection is not necessary for the enjoyment of this book. See more in depth reviews by following the link above (to Amazon).

1 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Blogger William Sofield said...

Sounds interesting. I'm not much into fiction -- with a few notable exceptions, but . . . no, I probably won't read it, but I'm glad to know about it. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home